Crested geckos also known as eyelash geckos, make fantastic pets especially because of their easy care and low maintenance. It’s a well-suited pet lizard for new lizard owners and even children. This specific species of geckos was once thought to be extinct until rediscovered in 1994.
Ideal House for Crested Geckos
Crested geckos are arboreal and active animals and need lots of vertical space for climbing so a tall tank is preferred. A 20-gallon tall terrarium is sufficient for an adult crested gecko but remember, the bigger the tank the better. If you are planning to house 2 or 3 crested geckos together then at least a 29-gallon tank is recommended.
When designing your crested gecko’s enclosure, make sure you add stuff like vines, bamboo, cork bark and driftwood for the gecko to climb. We also recommend adding some non-poisonous plants for a more natural look.
Even though, crested geckos will mostly drink water droplets from plants but you will still need a water dish with fresh water available at all times inside the enclosure.
Below is a list of 5 best crested gecko tanks
We have picked out 5 terrariums that we think are best for Geckos. Each terrarium has different features and is a bit different from others, but each one of them is right for geckos in its own way. So, let’s take a look at our 5 picks of best crested gecko terrarium.
Top 5 Best Crested Gecko Cages
Below are detail reviews of terrariums for crested geckos.
1. Exo Terra Glass Nano
- Glass terrarium best for crested geckos and many other reptiles
- Patented front window ventilation
- Waterproof base
- Raised bottom frame in order to install a substrate heater.
- Escape-proof door locks
- Closable inlets for wires and/or tubing management
- Natural-Looking Rock Background (extra climbing space for geckos)
The Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium Nano is the perfect terrarium for crested gecko. It is available in 12 different sizes, all built with the same features. The front opening door on the nano/tall model makes feeding and maintenance very easy. The terrarium comes with a removable full-screen top that allows UVB and infrared penetration and make cleaning easier. It also features a specially designed lock that will prevent your gecko from escaping.
Crested geckos like vertical climbing space, so a tall terrarium is preferred. The Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium Nano tall model is the best option for them. You can easily fit decorating items inside the terrarium like plants that your gecko will love.
The Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium Nano terrarium comes with closable inlets for tubing and wires that make installing the heater and misting tools a lot easier. It also features a waterproof base so that water does not leak out.
2. Zoo Med ReptiBreeze
- A better option for crested geckos and many other arboreal species of lizards
- Corrosion-resistant anodized aluminum mesh
- Large front door for easy cage access
- Large bottom door for easy substrate removal
- Easy to assemble (requires only a screwdriver)
- Good for ventilation.
- Large enough for 2 geckos.
- Good for vertical climbing space.
- All hardware included
Zoo Med ReptiBreeze is an open-air screen cage with a more natural look. It is made of specially treated anodized aluminum mesh. Unlike the previous Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium which is made of glass. It’s available in 4 different sizes i.e. small, medium, large and extra-large. The medium size which is 16 x 16 x 30-Inches is enough space to house 2 smaller geckos.
It offers a lot of vertical space for your gecko to climb, something crested geckos love to do. You can add a lot of plants to the enclosure to make it look natural and for the gecko to climb on.
Zoo Med ReptiBreeze comes with a large front door that makes cleaning and maintaining the enclosure easy. Also, at the bottom of the cage, it has a drawer that is designed in a way to make the substrate cleaning easy. Substrates do get dirty after sometimes, so having a drawer at the bottom is a plus point.
3. Zilla Vertical Tropical Kit
- Ideal for crested geckos, tree frogs and many other small size lizards.
- Durable glass build.
- Large front door with locking latch for easy access and security
- Hinged top for easy access.
- Waterproof base (Can hold 5 inches of water in the bottom)
- Comes with a feeding dish, temp gauge, and substrate.
- Takes only a small space
- A lot of vertical climbing space
- Mini Halogen Dome with light bulb
- Ships with reinforced packaging to protect product
Zilla Tropical Reptile Vertical Starter Kit is another very good option on our list of best crested gecko terrariums. It’s an ideal choice for beginners as it comes with many accessories needed for crested gecko care. It comes with substrate, textured background, a mini halogen dome, halogen light bulb, some coconut husk bedding, thermometer, and a hygrometer so you can maintain a comfortable environment for your crested gecko.
This terrarium measures 12 x 12 x 18 inches which is a perfect size for a crested gecko. It offers a lot of vertical space for your crested gecko to climb and exercise. It comes with a large door for easy access to the interior. The door has a hinge for easy opening and a latch for locking to make sure your gecko doesn’t escape the terrarium.
So, if you are looking for a good starter kit for crested gecko, we recommend the Zilla tropical kit because it has everything needed to take care of them and will get you started in no time.
4. Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit
- Ideal for snakes, frogs, lizards, and geckos
- Durable glass build.
- Dual front doors for an escape free access
- Unique front window ventilation
- Full metal screen for top ventilation
- Compact top lighting system
- Natural-Looking rock background
- Includes all necessary decoration items
Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit is another great starter kit for crested geckos. It comes with all the necessary tools needed for crested geckos such as substrate, water dish, jungle vines, jungle rope and care guide that will get you started in no time.
This terrarium comes with dual opening doors. This is specifically beneficial in accessing the interior of the tank for cleaning, feeding and other maintenance. The front of the tank has unique window ventilation which means a lot of fresh air for your pet.
5. Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium
- Special screen top
- Lockable door for safety and security
- Front and top ventilation
- Full Front glass opening door with snap closure.
- 6 power cord and airline tubing exit slots.
Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium is a simple but durable terrarium with a more natural look. It is available in 3 different sizes. For crested gecko, we recommend a medium-size which is 12 x 12 x 18. It offers enough vertical space for geckos who love to climb.
The tank is made of glass that allows you to see and monitor your pet’s activities without opening the terrarium. It also features a special screen top that keeps feeder insects in while allowing greater UVA and UVB penetration which is a bonus point.